As an artist our children will have the confidence and skills to be both creative and reflective in a judgement free environment. Art is an essential form of expression for our Muschampions, children will be given the opportunity to explore their ideas by experimenting, inventing and creating their own unique works of art using a range of media and sources of inspiration.
- To enable children to record from first-hand experience and from imagination and to select their own ideas to use in their work.
- To develop creativity and imagination through a range of complex activities
- To improve the children’s ability to control materials, tools and techniques
- To increase their critical awareness of the roles and purposes of art in different times and cultures
- To develop increasing confidence in the use of visual and tactile elements and materials.
- To foster an enjoyment and appreciation of the diversity of the visual arts and a knowledge of artists from different cultures and times.
At Muschamp Primary School, our art curriculum is designed with the intention to nurture our Muschampions into confident and creative artists who are capable of expressing themselves freely and reflectively in a non-judgmental environment. We recognize that art is an essential form of expression, and our primary goal is to provide our students with the knowledge and skills necessary to explore, experiment, invent, and create their unique works of art using a diverse range of media and sources of inspiration. Through our art curriculum, we aim to:
- Inspire Creative Exploration: Enable children to record their observations from first-hand experiences and imaginations, empowering them to select and develop their own ideas for artistic expression.
- Cultivate Creativity and Imagination: Foster creativity and imagination by engaging students in a variety of complex artistic activities that encourage them to think outside the box and explore their artistic potential.
- Enhance Artistic Skills: Improve the children's ability to control materials, tools, and techniques, ensuring that they have the technical proficiency required to bring their creative visions to life.
- Encourage Cultural Awareness: Increase critical awareness of the roles and purposes of art in different times and cultures, helping students appreciate the diversity of artistic expressions and their cultural significance.
- Boost Visual and Tactile Competence: Develop increasing confidence in the use of visual and tactile elements and materials, helping students articulate their ideas and emotions through artistic means.
- Foster Art Appreciation: Instill a sense of enjoyment and appreciation for the visual arts and a knowledge of artists from different cultures and times, encouraging students to draw inspiration from a wide range of artistic traditions.
To achieve our curriculum intent, we employ a dynamic and inclusive approach to teaching art at Muschamp Primary School. Our curriculum is structured around a series of interconnected components:
- Skill Building: We begin by providing students with a solid foundation in art techniques and skills. They learn to use various tools, materials, and techniques to manipulate and create art.
- Exploration and Creativity: Our students engage in a wide array of activities, from observational drawing to experimentation with different art forms, allowing them to explore their creative potential and develop their unique artistic voice.
- Cultural Context: We incorporate the study of art history and the examination of different cultural art forms to provide students with a broader perspective on the roles and purposes of art.
- Artist Appreciation: We expose our Muschampions to the works of artists from various backgrounds, eras, and styles, encouraging them to appreciate and draw inspiration from the diverse world of art.
- Reflective Practice: Throughout their artistic journey, students are encouraged to reflect on their work and artistic choices, promoting self-awareness and growth.
- Judgment-Free Environment: We create a safe and non-judgmental space for artistic expression, allowing students to take creative risks and embrace their artistic passions without fear of criticism.
The impact of our art curriculum at Muschamp Primary School is assessed through several key measures:
- Artistic Growth: Our students will demonstrate improved artistic skills and increased creativity as they progress through the curriculum, as evidenced by their art projects and portfolios.
- Cultural Awareness: Students will showcase a deeper understanding of the roles and purposes of art across different cultures and time periods, highlighting their appreciation for the diversity of artistic expression.
- Confidence and Reflection: Our Muschampions will grow in confidence as artists and exhibit reflective thinking in their artistic processes, leading to more thoughtful and meaningful creations.
- Inspired Creativity: Students will produce art that reflects their individuality and ideas, as well as their ability to experiment and invent, demonstrating their creative growth.
- Enjoyment and Appreciation: We aim for students to genuinely enjoy art and appreciate the beauty and significance of art in the world, evident in their enthusiasm for the subject and their ability to discuss and analyse art from various perspectives.
The art curriculum at Muschamp Primary School is a powerful platform for nurturing artistic talent and fostering an enduring love for the visual arts. We believe that through our intent, implementation, and continuous evaluation of impact, our Muschampions will emerge as well-rounded, confident, and reflective artists ready to contribute to the world of art and beyond.